RE: 4.1 success criteria - proposal for division

Charles makes an excellent point.  Perhaps the advice section for 4.1 could
include something to the effect that authors should follow the conventions
appropriate to the natural language of the content.  A further point: even
in English, it's not always appropriate to avoid the passive.  There are
times when it isn't possible to assign grammatical agency-- especially in
bureaucratic writing.  The Section 508 standards would fail this criterion
if we were to insist on it, for example.

There are implicit cultural assumptions here, too.  In the United States,
for example, many people place high value on coming directly to "the point,"
both in writing and in oral communication.  But in many countries such
directness is considered rude, and in some cases it may be politically
dangerous (which is why satire flourishes under repressive regimes).

John

John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Institute for Technology & Learning
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C, Mail code G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, f 512-495-4524