RE: magnifiers vs relative font-sizes

When programmers developing web sites and are using standards, there are
two concerns.
1.  When browsers do not always implement the standards
2.  How do you address old browsers? This is sometimes referred to as
backward compatibility.

This is not cut and dry and a business decision by the marketing or
program manager may be needed.  Here the target audience must be
considered and the role the expanded audience who you: (1) want to
attract, and (2) do not want to alienate.

As much as we want to be ubiquitous, web design is still a business and
cost must be projected and budgets met.  Therefore the decision to move
forward with standards must be one that can be supported and implemented
by the development team in the budget and time constraints.  Here, most
issues are lessons learned from development and feedback from the
audience, which correlate back to the target audience.  To address these
issues, the site maintenance budget and schedule must allot for the
changed. Issues that cannot be addressed through time, current
competencies, and architecture must be addressed in the redesign - AND
THIS NEEDS TO BE BUDGETED.

So by law, Federal Agencies in the United States must address 508
whereas commercial entities are more prone to consider their audience.
Hence, the moral of the story for the commercial audience - speak up and
provide feedback so you are part of the target audience.

Robert Neff
robert.neff@uaccessit.com
214.213.1979