RE: Checkpoint 2.3 Avoid causing the screen to flicker - Test?

Wendy WROTE

> Could someone find out how much it costs and what exactly it does?

> --Wendy

Hi

I checked it out.  It is from England.

I called the developers (several times actually) and discussed with
them.  It is really quite nice but quite expensive - and not really
designed for Web application.

The basic cost for a standard unit is $16000.00 CIF, duty and taxes not
paid.

It appears to be intended for use in broadcast or video industry.

The standard unit consists of:

-a desk-top PC fitted with a data capture card and a firewire control
card, 15" LCD monitor and connecting cables.

-a printer and cables.

-a JVC D-VHS VCR and cables.

-The analysis Software.

The VCR model they are using is undergoing a model change and they would
need to check if either version is available in US NTSC version.

All tapes (or video signals) should include a section of colour bar or
pluge to enable calibration.

Am now talking with them about collaborating on the development of a web
version -- hopefully that could be available for use free.   Will let
you know.

Gregg

------------------------------------

Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.

Ind Engr - Biomed - Trace,  Univ of Wis

gv@trace.wisc.edu

Clip
Control
Status

Graph
Frames

Test?

> I don't know about strobes, but as I reported in June [1] there is a
tool

> available. I still have not played with it. But info is available at
[2].

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl/2002AprJun/0395.html

> [2] http://www.hardingfpa.co.uk/

> At 10:36 PM 7/7/02, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:

> >I'm not sure I follow.  Strobes are great for freezing (visually) and

> >measuring the period of something which is moving repetitively, but I

> >don't know how you use a strobe to measure a strobe.  I can sort of
see

> >how you might, but don't see how it could be more effective or easier

> >than just using a light probe and looking at the events on an

> >oscilloscope (storage).   (or, for that matter, just capturing the

> >information using a computer as a storage oscilloscope.)

> >I don't recall anyone talking to me about using a strobe to measure

> >flash frequency.  But Trace is looking into the idea of a measurement

> >tool to address photosensitive epilepsy.   Have made progress and

> >contacts but don't yet have any determination of do-ability,

> >effectiveness, or timeline.

> >More when I know more.

> >Gregg

> >------------------------------------

> >Gregg Vanderheiden Ph.D.

> >Ind Engr - Biomed - Trace,  Univ of Wis

> >gv@trace.wisc.edu

On

> >Behalf

> > > Of gian@stanleymilford.com.au

> > > Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2002 6:41 PM

> > > To: graham_oliver@yahoo.com; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org

> > > Subject: RE: Checkpoint 2.3 Avoid causing the screen to flicker -

> >Test?

> > > Graham,

> > > We have discussed this briefly, and one of the problems is
strobing

> >due

> > > to faulty/older monitors. You would need to decide on one

> >version/brand

> > > computer to use in the test. Unfortunately you can't test for

> > > everything!

> > > Having said that, I still think it is a good idea, and I seem to

> >recall

> > > Geoff trying to get TRACE in on this.

> > > Cheers,

> > > Gian