RE: Checkpoint 3.3 Research

At 7:19 AM -0600 2/11/02, Lee Roberts wrote:
>One other thing was unique enough to point out.  The article at
>http://www.otal.umd.edu/uupractice/cognition/ shows a page set up for the
>cognitively challenged.  It explains what groups fall into this category.  I
>can imagine a web site would be fraught with difficulty if all the pages
>were set up in the manner the top of the page was set up.

Yes -- this is part of the reason that alternate versions make a lot
of sense when you're talking about the variety of cognitive
disabilities. What works for one person may be hell for another, and
the only way around that is to have parallel presentations available.

This is why we need to dispel the notion that alternate versions are
"text-only pages for blind users" -- in truth, the blind users are
well-served by a generally accessible page with straight-forward
layout. The real benefits of parallel versions can be seen when we
talk about _other_ (non-blind) groups of disabled users.

--Kynn

Next Book: Teach Yourself CSS in 24       http://cssin24hours.com