From: wendy [mailto:wendy@w3.org]
Sent: Friday, 25 January 2002 7:43 AM
To: charles; Gian Sampson-Wild
Cc: w3c-wai-gl
Subject: Re: text as images...

Please note that the following appears in the errata for WCAG 1.0:
http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/WAI-WEBCONTENT-ERRATA

<quote>
8. Text in images - clarification of checkpoint 3.1.
Added: 3 January 2001
Type: Clarification
Refers to: Checkpoint 3.1 in 5 May 1999 version.
Description (and correction). Checkpoint 3.1 should be reworded to read,
"When an appropriate markup language exists and is supported, use markup
rather than raster-based images to convey information. [Priority 2]
For example, when supported, use SVG to create graphics, MathML to mark
up mathematical equations, and CSS for text-oriented special effects.
Avoid where possible using raster-based images to represent text -- use
text and style sheets. Raster-based formats such as .gif and .jpeg paint
the text as a series of pixels. When magnified the text becomes
distorted. The ability to magnify text is critical for user with low
vision.
You may use text in images when:
the text does not convey its literal meaning but has a more graphical
function, such as a logo and
the effect can not be achieved with CSS and
you have provided a text equivalent for the image.
Refer also to Guideline 1, Guideline 6 and Guideline 11.
</quote>

Does this help any?

--wendy

--