Review of WCAG 2.0 checkpoint 4.4

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 21:33:15 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Checkpoint 4.4

I have big problem with default, it suggests to developers that
there's some view of a webpage that is correct, and there's some UA
rendering that is also correct, (other renderings, other views being
wrong.) this is clearly rubbish, but it is what is suggested by the
phrase.  Also what is "default user agent processing" I use a
privately modified Snufkin, it's a web browser, there's no way anyone
can know what its default processing is, unless they ask me, and
that's hardly practical for everyone.

I see nothing wrong with something more like "Ensure that content
remains usable no matter what technologies are turned off, not
supported, or additional ones are available."

I've added a "or additional ones are available", for technologies such as
translators
or annotators or aids which look at linked pages to see how accessible
they are[1] which add functionality to a browser, yet isn't expected
by "default".

Jim.

[1] This is a proposed usage scenario for EARL see
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-er-ig/2001Nov/0007.html