Re: WCAG1 10.2 (until user agents)

From: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 16:56:29 -0800
To: jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au, Web Content Guidelines <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
At 11:51 AM +1100 1/18/02, Jason White wrote:
>Kynn Bartlett writes:
>  >
>  > Is the UA-Support page being actively maintained?  We refer web
>  > developers to it via WCAG, but for the majority of checkpoints
>  > we give zero guidance.
>
>No it is not being actively maintained for lack of resources. The
>whole "until user agents" issue is being revisited for WCAG 2.0.
>Anybody who wants to maintain a user agent support page and conduct
>all the necessary research is welcome to volunteer, however.

I might, if I ever get off my butt and finish my last project related
to CSS-TECHS.

See, the problem is that WCAG 1 depends on the existence of this
document.  WCAG 1 is unusable as written without this document being
maintained.  I realize this will go away in WCAG 2, but for now it
means that WCAG 1 is way up in the air.  At the very least we should
put a notice saying "THIS IS NO LONGER BEING MAINTAINED" on the
page, and provide a strategy for web developers to deal with WCAG 1
until WCAG 2 is issued.

If nobody objects, I'll think about what we want to say there about
this and send it to the WG for consideration.

--Kynn

Forthcoming: Teach Yourself CSS in 24 Hours