Re: A little back to basics (Re: Users should have (Re: Fresh start? Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities))

Hi,

I think that it is important to consider both the results and the
mechanisms.  This avoids the tendency of coming up with desired
results and forgetting how much work on the part of web page
developers to achieve the results.

T.V. Raman has done some very good work on Emacspeak.  However,
there is another user base that needs to be considered.  These
are people with disabilities who want to learn the most minimal
amount of technology and access technology in order to get access
to information and interact.  Many of them would not be interested
in learning what XSLT transformations are possible and how to choose
from them.

Another other assumption is that a document will have the appropriate
structure.  Why do web page developers want to put the effort
into creating the appropriate structure?  Often their criteria
(and their bosses') are more like how does it look, does it work
the way it is suppose to and how will it work on the major browsers.
Appropriate structure is not high on priorities because what does
it actually do that is as important as the other goals mentioned?

I don't believe that many disabled people who have only minimal
interest in technology would really want to hassle with client-side
transformation tools.  It adds more to what they have to learn.
They have to worry about what client-side tools work with what access
technology doing what tasks.  I believe the focus should be more on
the minimally teachnologically inclined disabled people.

Scott