Re: fixed link to the current 'hit'

At 02:36 PM 2002-05-23, jonathan chetwynd wrote:
>Has anyone seen an example of the following:
>
>a static link that is the place-holder for a current picture?
>
>for example this could be a picture of the singer from the current No1 single, where the link name and address is static from week to week, or a news site where the image changes from day to day, but the link is static.
>
>Rationale: we have a lot of work updating our links, which could possibly be avoided.

All the documents on the TR page at w3.org have a 'latest' link in them that
is of this class.  For example http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG10/.

There are two ways to do this.

The easiest is if you have a file system that supports soft pointers, and make
the URL lead to the soft-pointer that you can change.

There are other ways to do it in the server configuration data depending on the server.

The problem is that you want both an URL for the specific image and a logical URL
for the current role-filling image.

Another example is http://lynx.isc.org/current/