Re: Standards for web captioning

From: geoff freed <geoff_freed@wgbh.org>
Date: 18 Jun 2002 08:14:59 -0400
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, Paul Bohman <paulb@cpd2.usu.edu>, <w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org>

Hi, Paul:

>* font size
>* words per minute
>* lines of text per viewing frame
>* capital characters versus lower case

>Or anything else along these lines. There are standards for television,
>but are there any for the Web?

Actually, there aren't any standards for these things in the broadcast world.  Font size is determined by the available technology; the rest are determined by individual captioning agencies in conjunction with viewers.

>If there isn't a set of standards, should we
>create one?

Including some common-sense pointers in the guidelines is a good idea--for starters  see http://main.wgbh.org/wgbh/pages/captioncenter/ccstyles.html-- but I don't think the WAI is the proper body to write a full recommendation about captioning.  Some caption agencies, including The Caption Center, have already put in years of research regarding caption timing, display, quality, comprehension, etc.

Geoff Freed
WGBH/NCAM