RE: June 13 Telecon Highlights

I started to write an email to suggest a change to the wording of the
exception statement under minimum success criteria #2, but then realized
that I wasn't so sure about the appropriateness of my recommendation, so
I'm instead asking for opinions on the matter in general.

Right now, the exception statement says that dialogue and sounds do not
have to be synchronously captioned in an audio-only format, and if the
content is not time-sensitive and not interactive.

Here is my question: would the same exception apply to video content
under some circumstances?

For example, if you have a video clip that doesn't have a lot of content
that is particularly visual in nature (e.g. a video clip of a professor
giving a lecture while standing at a podium), I don't see a compelling
reason to add synchronous captions at a minimum conformance level. It
seems to me that a transcript would be sufficient. At level 2 or 3, I
think we can be justified in saying that the video ought to have
synchronous captions, but at a minimum level, I just don't think it's
necessary.

Maybe we could say something like this (this is wordy, but it has all of
the elements):

"Exception: For non-interactive, non-time-sensitive, real-time Web
content which is primarily or exclusively audio-based, a transcript or
other non-audio equivalent is sufficient."

NOTE: I also think that the phrase "transcript or other non-audio
equivalent" should be changed to reflect the idea of using a standard
character set in a text-based format, as per the teleconference
discussion, but I didn't know how to word it, so I left it as is for
now.

Paul Bohman
Technology Coordinator
WebAIM (Web Accessibility in Mind)