Real-time video description (broadcast TV)

Some text from a message by Charles Crawford of the American Council to the
Blind which seems relevant to our earlier discussion of Checkpoint 1.2,
especially some of the examples we were discussing.

==snippet begins==
>To: ACB-L@acb.org

>From: Charles Crawford <CCrawford@acb.org>

>Subject: Bad weather and DVS rule?

>Hi Everyone,

> I am very glad to report that our local tv stations have

> broken

> into programming on two separate days to warn of sever thunderstorms and

> potential tornados. Not only that, hbut they even described exactly

> where the different colors on the weather map were by geographic

> location. Looks like our advocacy at least in this case resulted in

> compliance with the FCC rule and certainly argues against the babble we

> all heard about how entertainment description would invite disaster since

> important informaiton would be ignored.

== snippet ends===

John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Institute for Technology & Learning
University of Texas at Austin
FAC 248C, Mail code G9600
Austin, TX 78712
ph 512-495-4288, f 512-495-4524