JAWS and name attribute for IMG

From: john_slatin <john_slatin@forum.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 07:09:20 -0500
To: "WCAG (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
I just discovered something surprising (at least to me):

For IMG elements, JAWS 4.01 reports the *name* attribute when
 ALT="" and there is no TITLE attribute.

The NAME attribute is *not* reported when ALT is not empty or if there is a
TITLE attribute.  If the content of the TITLE attribute is longer than the
content of the ALT attribute, JAWS 4.01 reports the TITLE.  It does not
appear to matter whether the user has selected "Speak ALT or TITLE" or
"Speak longest" in HTML settings for graphics: JAWS reports the TITLE
attribute if it's longer.  In fact, even when the ALT text is longer than
the content of the TITLE attribute, TITLE appears to take precedence.

Question: Is JAWS behaving as it should in all of these cases?

Inquiring minds want to know.  See you this afternoon.
John

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
Institute for Technology and Learning
University of Texas at Austin