Re: Screen reader support for browsers

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 18:21:22 -0400 (EDT)
To: john_slatin <john_slatin@forum.utexas.edu>
cc: "'w3c-wai-gl@w3.org'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
As far as I know, Outspoken supports any browser, since they base their model
on what is pushed to the screen. Likewise I think mercator (Solaris) did
that. I am pretty sure Gnopernicus works with something other than IE (since
I am pretty sure there is no IE for GNOME, among other things).

Emacspeak works like a new-generation screenreader - rather than strictly
reading the screen it hooks into the underlying system (in this case emacs)
to make an audio desktop. It can support at least emacs/W3 browser and Lynx,
although there are other browsers that can be run under emacs I believe.

Cheers

Charles