Re: zoom tool-tips

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:45:53 -0000
To: "WAI GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
"Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>

> I don't think that authors should be able to set the absolute size of
tool
> tips, only the relative size (compared to the user's default).
>
> In HTML there is no real way of doing this - people have used pop-up
windows,
> or relied on the bahaviour of different browsers (but since they are
> different it is an inherently unreliable approach).
>
> In SVG, by contrast, it is fairly simple:
>
>     <text class="tooltip" x="0" y="0" visibility="hidden">
>       ToolTip!
>       <set attributeName="visibility" attributeType="CSS" to="visible"
>            begin="focusin" end="focusout" />
>     </text>
>
> (the class="tooltip" is just so that if you have a lot of these on a
page you
> can style them collectively).

in HTML+scripting language+DOM, there are ways very similar to the above
SVG for doing this, the SVG above isn't a tooltip in the sense of that
shown by todays web browsers, which are taking additional content
alt/title and displaying them on mouseover - whilst yours does the same,
it is not doing it with the alt attribute or DESC element, it's doing it
with content you supply.

The question does indicate that the title attribute is being misused to
get a tooltip saying something to appear rather than as a title of the
element.

Example of a DOM technique would be
http://jibbering.com/2002/1/linksintooltip.html (although I don't think
putting links in tooltips in this manner is a particularly good idea, as
it hides the link from anyone without a sufficiently DOM aware browser -
the script without the links would work the same.

Jim.