Re: CC/PP Re: A single URI

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:21:19 -0000
To: "WAI GL" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
"Charles McCathieNevile":
> another example:
>   I use a common browser, but because the network I am on is extremely
>   (being based on GSM), I turn off support for various kinds of
>   (In iCab I can filter out objects by type - eg gif image, move, etc -
>   by URI - eg. I don't get any images from half a dozen advrtising
>   - and by size - eg. I won't accept any file bigger than 20KB). It is
>   important that these preferences are part of the CC/PP profile that
>   browser provides.

Okay, fulfill this browser scenario, I use a very capable common browser,
however to meet my accessibility needs, I've prevented certain standard
elements from performing their "standard" features (DOM 2 focus control
has been removed for example, focus changes of any kind disorientate me
(well they annoy).)  CC/PP would have to be fine tuned enough for me to
describe this - yet the vocabulary posted in the March public draft
contains no such thing, it contains purely technical information - screen
size for example - not viewport size but screensize- (Screen size is of
no use as it says nothing about the viewport, I'm happy to change the
viewport size as necessary for a site or even the screensize (by
scaling), but in general I'll have it the size I want.)

My questions are not about the concept of providing content negotiation
based on user preferences, just that CC/PP has published nothing in the
direction, and much that is published is a duplication of the HTTP USER
AGENT string negotiation (a wholly flawed approach that has limited
accessibility to many.)

Where's the vocabulary for me to identify my browsers capabilities and my
personal preferences in CC/PP it's certainly in nothing published.