Proposal for 1.5 success criteria

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@contenu.nu>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:55:20 -0500
To: WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@W3.org>
>You will have successfully separated content and structure from
>presentation if:
>
>1.      A user can change the presentation to meet his/her needs, for
>example by applying a different stylesheet
>
>2.      The following can be derived programmatically from the content:

What the heck does "programmatically" mean? If you mean "A system,
without human interpretation, can derive the following," then maybe
that should be stated.

>a.      A logical, linear reading order

Why does it have to be logical? As in mathematics?

If we say "linear reading order," anyone who's been online since 1994
is going to laugh. The Web is all about hypertext, which is
nonlinear. I suppose we mean linear reading within a page, but even
that is not really the rule-- one thinks of page anchors ("fragment
identifiers" in the official nomenclature).

I think you really mean "The markup is valid, meaning that the device
codes and hack together something resembling a readable document."

>c.      Relationships between elements, such as cross-references and
>associations between labels and controls

What is a cross-reference?

>d.      Emphasis

_various_ E-mail *methods*. Why is emphasis so important?

I think this is another case of people writing a spec that has little
relation to real-world Web sites.
--
         Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org
         Weblogs, resources, & articles by the hundreds: