From: charles [mailto:charles@w3.org]
Sent: Saturday, December 08, 2001 6:02 PM
To: Gian Sampson-Wild
Cc: w3c-wai-gl
Subject: Re: accesskey shortcuts.

This shouldn't go in the guidelines as a permamnent requirement. But
until
more browsers are smarter about adapting the accesskeys to their own
capabilities it is a useful technique - they are certainly the most
widely
available keys.

For browsers that do a reasonable job of accesskeys there are plenty
more
though - and it is possible to implement accesskeys in a way that makes
tsomething available for the user to find out what they are, and be able
use any control that has an accesskey assigned without having to
restrict
them this far - there is a lot of value in having mnemonic accesskeys,
and as
someone who uses them a lot (in iCab, where it is just the key with no
alt or
ctrl or whatever) I appreciate the functionality.

cheers

Charles