Re: Foundation for text techniques

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 10:10:03 -0000
To: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
"Adam Victor Reed":

> 1. The default (pictorial or animated) content and the ALT text are
> alternatives: when one is presented, the other isn't. Thus the
> ALT parameter contains text which IS presented whenever the
> corresponding visual is NOT being accessed, and that is NOT
> normally presented when the visual IS being acccessed.

Certainly perhaps as default, but I certainly think there's nothing wrong
with a user agent to display more than one of them at once, a users
usability of images may be limited (perhaps by colour blindness, or
cognitively) but still can get good value out of some images, so wants
the best of both worlds, ALT displayed for the difficult images, but the
images displayed for those that are there - it's a UA issue rather than
an authoring one though.

Jim.