Re: title inclusion

From: Joe Clark <joeclark@contenu.nu>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 06:15:12 -0500
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>, WAI-GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
>>alt, title, and longdesc provide basic, intermediate, and advanced
>>information about a graphic.
>
>The idea that alt, title, and longdesc are a hierarchy of information
>is, in my opinion, confusing and not to spec, specifically when talking
>about the @title attribute.  @title has a specific definition in HTML,
>and it's not "intermediate information" when applied to a graphic.

The "spec" is
<http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/struct/global.html#adef-title> and
says "This attribute offers advisory information about the element
for which it is set." In other words, anything goes.

>Apart from the style, the content of these definitions is lacking.
>For example, you have redefined @alt so it's no longer "a text
>equivalent" but is now "the function or purpose" in a minimal
>way.

Welcome to reality. That is consistent with all advice on the use of
alt. longdesc is also a text equivalent. So how would *you*
differentiate them?

That was my one and only attempt to define these terms. I give up.
I'll leave the task in the evidently-more-capable hands of others.
--
   Joe Clark | joeclark@joeclark.org | <http://joeclark.org/access/>
   Accessibility articles, resources, and critiques