  Chaals,
[snip]
  I'm very happy with #20.

  #2 may be overly restrictive by insisting that the topic sentence
  invariably be the first sentence (I'm not sure this is appropriate
  for all languages). However, I suppose it's probably good to  have a
  firm, clear criterion like this for average and weak writers; the
  good writers who already know how to write clearly (all twelve of
  them) are going to ignore or bend any criteria that don't suit them
  anyway.

  In #18 we may be going overboard in our quest for measurability.
  Sentences can be short and clear while technically containing more
  than one relative clause, and I would rather see this advice in
  Techniques than in a normative document.

  #13 is more useful than #18, though someone might argue that #13 is
  not sufficiently measurable.