Re: Problems with OTACS-2

From: Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 18:39:35 -0500
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Cc: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Chaals,

         Good news that SVG is progressing past vaporware! It is still not
an easily-available option for a page author, especially one who does not
have a pioneering sense about digital design ... Anyone who uses SVG on
their page needs to provide a link to download the viewer if they don't
want to frustrate users with a blank screen ...

         Unless you count e-mail readers as early browsers, there was no
beginning of Internet hyperlinking before images were included ... but do
correct me if my memory is faulty ....

                                                 Anne

At 11:02 AM 10/28/01 -0500, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>This is simply untrue. Cognitively disabled users who are looking for
>animated content have every reason to prefer SVG over other formats, or at
>least every reason that can be advanced for using flash.
>
>SVG is not vapourware, it works in animated form now using a readily
>available plugin, it works in at least two static form that supports
>accessibility features.
>
>To make general handwaving assertions about how hard things might be is not
>helpful. We need to assess the technologies available, and the solutions they
>can provide, and then what is on the horizon that we should think about in
>order to provide a better solution as the technology improves.
>
>Otherwise we would be using text-only browsers.
>
>Charles

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem