Re: FW: Revision to Web Accessibility Policy

Kynn,

         I agree with your principle here. Each domain should set their own
guidelines, but I choked over the notion of higher ed setting guidelines
for K-12. The needs of the two levels of education are very different,
especially as you approach the younger students. K-2 may need an
illustration density of one illustration per 10 words, while higher ed
could do nicely with an illustration per 100 words. The needs for
educationally disabled folks (cognitive, learning, and reading
difficulties) is somewhere between these extremes.

         Sadly, although some of us have struggled to keep good faith
instead of hard numbers out of 3.4, it seems it will be necessary in order
to include the affected folks at the supper table.

                                                 Anne

At 11:05 PM 10/25/01 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 8:43 AM -0700 2001/10/23, Matt May wrote:
>>While I'm not excited about the status quo, or with point-scoring schemes, I
>>think that it would be reasonable to create accessibility profiles for
>>different web site types (education, government, content, commerce, etc.),
>>and declare for each group what the obstacles are and how to solve them. The
>>needs of people using assistive technologies differ slightly in each area,
>>which I think is partly responsible for complicating the prioritization
>>process which no one here is all too eager to begin.
>
>I agree that there are differences, but I don't agree that this group --
>which is not at all representative of those audiences -- should be the
>ones to issue guidelines for those groups.  W3C should not be in the
>position of dictating requirements in areas for which we don't have the
>appropriate expertise to comment.
>
>Higher education web developers and policymakers should set educational
>web accessibility standards.  Government web developers and policymakers
>should set government web accessibility standards.  E-commerce web
>developers and policymakers should set e-commerce web accessibility
>standards.  And so on.
>
>And they should do so using the WCAG 2.0 framework as a basis for
>setting those policies.
>
>--Kynn
>
>--
>Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
>Technical Developer Liaison
>Reef North America
>Accessibility - W3C - Integrator Network
>BUSINESS IS DYNAMIC. TAKE CONTROL.
>http://www.reef.com

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com