Re: Normative and Non-Normative - Why?

From: Graham Oliver <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 09:02:34 +0100 (BST)
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>, Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
> Real web developers rarely if ever understand the
> meaning of the term
> "normative" nor necessarily the distinction being
> drawn.  This concept,
> in my opinion, is not useful to us as we try to
> produce a usable
> spec.
I strongly agree.
I've been trying to understand this term for ages and
I am _extremely_ highly motivated to understand it.
Clearly it serves a purpose for some but I think that
we need to find a way of presenting the concept in the
document without using the term.
I would like to present an alternative but I am still
sufficiently confused by its meaning within the
Guidelines to offer one.

Cheers
Graham

=====
'Making on-line information accessible'
Mobile Phone : +64 25 919 724 - New Zealand
Work Phone : +64 9 846 6995 - New Zealand
AIM ID : grahamolivernz

Nokia Game is on again.
Go to http://uk.yahoo.com/nokiagame/ and join the new
all media adventure before November 3rd.