RE: First Stab at Set of Principles for 'Minimum Conformance'

At 10:31 AM -0700 2001/10/25, Cynthia Shelly wrote:
>Interesting...
>Could you elaborate on why you think testability is an academic
>criteria?
>
>I'd say it's just the oposite.  If I can test that I've done the thing,
>the thing is practical.  If I can't, the thing is academic.
>
>If the thing is academic, we can have long philosophical discussions
>about whether or not I've done it (I'll bring the red wine <grin/>).  On
>the other hand, if the thing is practical, each of us can apply the same
>test, and agree that I've done it.
>

>Separate point,
>I don't anyone has said "difficult to test" is the criteria for not
>being included in the minimum set.  I think we've said "impossible to
>test".  That's a big difference.

Speaking of "testing" do we mean automated tests, or tests by the
author, or user tests, or what?  I think we are using the very vague
word "test" in a sloppy manner, and at the very least the term when
used should be qualified with an adjective.

Otherwise our discussions will become even more muddled.

I think there are practical matters which cannot be "tested" but in
which a "judgment call" must be made.  As a trivial example, "appropriate
alt text."  (We all know that "existence of alt text" is easily testable,
but applicability is not a "test", it is a "judgment call.")

The suitability of a given judgment call can be tested in practice
by suitable user testing but can't really be checked in any other
appropriate manner.

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>