Re: Normative and Non-Normative - Why?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:45:48 -0400 (EDT)
To: Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>
cc: Graham Oliver <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Aah, yes, I was aware of this use of the term in that context, but hadn't
thought of it.

So where does this leave us?

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Anne Pemberton wrote:

           May be my perception from the conversations on normative
  checkpoints, and it may be the vocabulary. "Normative" is used in education
  to describe types of assessment instruments/tests that have be calibrated
  to express the "norm" or "average" for the demographics of the test takers.
  A "normative" test item would be a test question that results in a uniform
  score. Hence my perception of "normative" checkpoints as being those that
  are testable to a "normed" standard. And my belief you were trying to
  separate the machine testable checkpoints from the humanly subjective ones ...