Re: Normative and Non-Normative - Why?

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 19:45:48 -0400 (EDT)
To: Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>
cc: Graham Oliver <graham_oliver@yahoo.com>, <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Aah, yes, I was aware of this use of the term in that context, but hadn't
thought of it.

So where does this leave us?

Chaals

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, Anne Pemberton wrote:

  Chaals,

           May be my perception from the conversations on normative
  checkpoints, and it may be the vocabulary. "Normative" is used in education
  to describe types of assessment instruments/tests that have be calibrated
  to express the "norm" or "average" for the demographics of the test takers.
  A "normative" test item would be a test question that results in a uniform
  score. Hence my perception of "normative" checkpoints as being those that
  are testable to a "normed" standard. And my belief you were trying to
  separate the machine testable checkpoints from the humanly subjective ones ...

                                           Anne