Re: Conformance claims - by success criteria?

Wendy,
         I'm not ready to make a proposal for a two level scheme, specific
and public, but close ...

         I have concerns about using WCAG 1.0 as a "pure accessibility
model" because it failed - that's why we're doing 2.0 .... to dredge up an
old, frequently repeated axiom, the basic Guideline 1.1 should require
alternatives to text as well as non-text in order to be a "pure"
accessibility model ....

         I do agree that technology-specific checkpoints should be flexible
to allow for emerging technologies the day after the checkpoints are set in
stone ....

                                         Anne

At 05:59 PM 10/11/01 -0400, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:
>In today's call we talked a lot about using metadata to make conformance
>claims.  Our assumption was that we would be expressing conformance to
>checkpoints.  What if instead conformance was to the success criteria?  We
>already have some criteria that are conditional.
>
>This seems overwhelming, yet would be very exact and possible using
>EARL/metadata.
>
>I still also wonder about what conformance will look like at the
>technology-specific level.  Do we have one priority scheme for
>guidelines/checkpoints and another for technology-specifics?  Cynthia drew
>3 axes that we must address when creating a priority scheme:
>·       WCAG 1.0 - pure accessibility model
>·       technical feasibility
>·       reasonableness or mitigating factors or something
>
>One possibility is that guidelines/checkpoints priorities are based on the
>pure accessibility model, while the priority scheme for
>technology-specifics takes into account technical feasibility and other
>mitigating factors.
>
>But, how would these fit together into one coherent conformance claim?
>
>Perhaps at the guideline/checkpoint level we have priorities, but at the
>technology-specific layer they are not priorities but
>"possibilities."  Clearly defining what is possible and most widely used
>today.  Keeping in mind Gregory's "opt-out" strategy to be included for
>each technology-specific "possibility."
>
>Just some random thoughts...sorry no clear proposal.
>--wendy
>--
>wendy a chisholm
>world wide web consortium