RE: conformance

On the issue of levels of conformance:

Speaking as someone who implemented WCAG 1.0 on a major site, I would
have to say that my issues with the conformance scheme weren't that it
had three levels, but that it had ONLY 3 levels.  There was no way to
say "I did this one, and that one, and I kind of did this, but I
couldn't do that and here's why".

As Kynn (and others) have pointed out many times, if an author can't do
one pri 2 item (and there are quite a few that are very hard), there is
absolutely no incentive for him to any other pri 2 items.  He won't get
credit for them.

On the issue of the usefulness of metadata:

If we were to publish a metadata scheme for conformance claims today, it
would be immediately useful.

1) A search engine could start using it tomorrow. The search engine
could do this entirely in server-side code, and users would not need to
download or install anything. Search engines use metadata for a variety
of tasks already. This is not vaporware.

2) An entry-level programmer could write, in about a week, an
accessibility aid that filtered on conformance to checkpoints.  Users
would have to install that, but they have to install screen readers too.

3) Browser manufacturers could incorporate filtering technology into
their next releases.  They can't do that if there isn't a spec for it.

While it's true that the PICS scheme for accessibility was not widely
adopted, I think that was primarily an issue of it not being evangelized
(Charles, correct me if I'm wrong here).  I implemented 1.0, and read
many, many documents, but I was not aware of its existence until
Charles' recent post.

On the issue of understandability by users:
Perhaps it would be useful to give an example of another metadata scheme
that is in widely adopted - content ratings.

There is a PICS scheme defined for rating the naughtiness of a web site.
This scheme is used by a variety of filtering programs, including one
built into Internet Explorer.  If you go into the tools menu in IE, pick
Internet Options, and click the Content tab, you will see something
called "Content Advisor".  This allows you to tell your browser you
don't want it to display anything dirty (using a 1-5 scale for language,
nudity, etc).  How does your browser know something is dirty?  It looks
at metadata.  You, as a user of this software, don't have to understand
the metadata.  In fact, unless you've read the spec for the RSACi PICS
tag, you won't understand it.  As tags go, it's pretty cryptic.  Most
Web authors (even experienced ones) have to look it up.  However, that
in no way prevents it from being useful to the end user. Some sites also
display a logo, and post text describing how squeaky clean they are, but
that is NOT how the browser knows.