From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Cynthia Shelly
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 7:28 PM
To: Web Content Guidelines
Subject: RE: Agenda

On the Author and user needs conflict issue...

When we originally discussed it, the example was distracting
advertising.  The author is intentionally changing the user's focus from
what the user considers to be the primary content (the news article) to
what the author considers to be the primary content (the ad).  From the
author's viewpoint, he has made his primary content (the ad) *MORE*
accessible with by adding dancing hamsters (or whatever).

This is a real need for the author.  If he is not successful at this, he
won't get as many advertisers, or his advertisers won't pay as much, and
he'll go out of business, taking his secondary content (the news
article) with him.

The user probably won't see it this way, and will find that he has been
distracted from the primary content (the news article) by the secondary
content (the ad).