Dont confuse consensus statements with Guidelines

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 16:12:31 -0500
To: "GLWAI Guidelines WG \(GL - WAI Guidelines WG\)" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
 Everyone please note that these are not guidelines -- but statements of
consensus about what we are trying to achieve.    Some will be vague.
Some will be more specific.

Donít worry if one of these is too general to be "enforced" or tested.
If you see one that you DISAGREE with -- then state that fact and give
your rationale.

If you agree but think that there should be a more specific statement --
THEN PROPOSE THE MORE SPECIFIC STATEMENT.     If people agree it gets
added to the list.    If not then it isn't consensus.... but is good to
see.

If you agree with a statement but donít think it goes far enough.   Then
you must propose something more specific or nothing happens.

If you agree but ask "yes - but how do you operationalize this?",  well,
that is the purpose of the guidelines,  not the consensus statements.
The consensus statements are to be sure we know when we are all pointed
in the same direction.   When we have the specifics worked out, those go
in the WCAG itself.

Finally,  if you just donít understand what the statement meant exactly,
then just ask that question.   We often add a sentence or parenthetical
to the end to explain what is meant if it isn't clear to some

Gregg