Re: User and user needs conflict- BIG ISSUES REMAINING TO BE DISCUSSED

At 11:02 PM +0100 2001/9/30, Jim Ley wrote:
>  > Lets take a table layout, not good for some who have old screen readers,
>>  that just read strait across the page or have  linearization problems.
>
>Script or not using tables could be used to solve this, how many of these
>screen readers are there really in use whereby they have screen readers
>who can't manage that, for windows I could write a table reader in about
>an hour, would be about a 5k download and cost nothing, if there are
>really are users with that limitation, please put me in touch I could help
>them a lot...

It would also be trivial to write a proxy that changes tables into CSS
which could be accessed by people with screenreaders -- screenreaders
which don't linearize properly are, in my opinion, a Solved Problem.

Now, that doesn't mean _tables which don't linearize properly_ aren't
still a problem, and by that I mean poor HTML coding.  I myself have
been guilty of that in the past, once with a proposed redesign for an
employer's site, which went:

START OF TABLE

ROW ONE:

CELL ONE: