Re: User and user needs conflict- BIG ISSUES REMAINING TO BE DISCUSSED

From: Jim Ley <jim@e-media.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 13:23:01 -0000
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>, "Jason White" <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.edu.au>
Cc: "_W3C-WAI Web Content Access. Guidelines List" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> And the other approach, as Lisa pointed out (beating Kynn to the jump -
hi
> Kynn <grin/>) is to serve different versions of the content for
different
> users (It isn't just Reef doing this - big names include IBM, smaller
ones
> include adaptive media, and most people who started marketing to mobile
> devices).

This introduces complexity, you need some way to manage the choice of the
users, whilst I acknowledge there's a CC/PP proposal, we have no
implementations (and I hope we never do, it goes against my own views on
accessibility) so you have to provide a user interface, this interface is
likely be its very nature to be confusing and complicated for a user to
relearn on each site they may visit, and that's where the site designer
is happy to compromise their basic interface/design of what the site's
actual content is about to provide these additional options.

For things like animation, the solution surely has to rest with the user
in the UserAgent, I can't see how any recommendation could credibly
suggest that it be done on a page by page basis.

> The benefit of the first appraoch is that it is very simple for
authors, but
> users have to do more configuration, and therefore need to know they
can, and
> how.

Indeed, but it solves for every site, and not just the one where the
author understands the principles of accessibilty and is willing to make
consideration.  There's always the opportunity for a page designer who is
interested in doing this to provide details of how a particular UA could
be used to change the feature.

Jim.