Re: how/what

William,
         Briggs saws the Peter and the Wolf site last week and didn't
comment on your picture. Your beard is neatly trimmed, whereas I think he
was seeing a heavy "five o'clock shadow" on the other picture.

         I understand the example on separation, but I don't think that
asking for "separation" will tell the web author what we want them to do.
What we want them to do is consider presentation as more than visual, to
provide the presentation features so that they can be repurposed if used in
a sound only presentation. What are the ways in which this can be done?
Yes, style sheets that can put the sale prices in a special class that
displays them in a certain color or font, but what does that add to the
non-visual presentation? I think it can allow a speech reader to identify
the classes as they occur in the reading? How else can this be achieved
without style sheets? Perhaps adding a graphic (a bubble that says "sale"
and is alt tagged as "sale") ...  If this is a valid solution, I don't know
that telling someone to "separate" presentation from content will lead to
such a conclusion/action.

                                                         Anne

At 05:53 PM 9/20/01 -0700, William Loughborough wrote:
>At 07:28 PM 9/20/01 -0400, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>>If the author provides the flexibility in presentation and structure, it
>>is immaterial whether or not they are separated
>
>I believe that the idea is that "providing the flexibility" is another way
>of stating what is meant by "separating" them. The problem in older HTML
>versions is that there are elements that don't permit ascertaining the
>semantics of the presentational content.
>
>If items on sale are indicated only by their color/font then the
>information that they are on sale is unavailable to someone who can't
>determine that there's different visual presentation.
>
>As to needing a shave, perhaps your precocious student could see the
>picture of me on the "Peter" site? Of course Santa doesn't shave! (I get a
>lot of Santa Claus takes from little kids in supermarket lines).
>
>--
>Love.
>EACH UN-INDEXED/ANNOTATED WEB POSTING WE MAKE IS TESTAMENT TO OUR HYPOCRISY

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45