Re: CONSENSUS REVISED 9-20-01

[draft record of consensus]

>>N3 -  normative is determined by objectiveness  -- ease of establishing
>>consensus on fulfillment.

[Anne Pemberton]

>         I see problems with this ....

[Al, here]

So far this list only talks about 'normative' as though what we say is either
'normative' or 'not normative.'

In the IETF they have found it helpful to have three grades of things that
they
find to say.

These can be summarized by the graded series [MUST, SHOULD, MAY].  There are
other keywords but they equate to these three in terms of their effect on
'normativity.'

It could be reasonable for us to agree that one SHOULD minimize the dependency
of your message on obscure words, and MUST annotate with definitions those
terms that are essential to your message and not used in their standard
meanings.  In this it is not necessarily easy to gain consensus on when
someone
has minimized the dependency of their text on obscure words.  It does not
reduce to an objective Boolean pass/fail condition.  But it unreasonable
not to
mention that they SHOULD do it, all the same.  And while some find that SHOULD
statements are weaker than they would prefer, it is still not quite right to
say that they are 'not normative.'

Is is possible that our 'objectivity' criteria should be different for things
we say the content or content provider SHOULD do and things that we say they
MUST do?  Now, I know these code words are from a style guide for writing
specifications.  But as soon as we say that we are writing 'normative'
stuff it
is not that far from specification language.  So we might think about more
shades of grey that just 'normative' and 'not.'

Al

Ref:
<<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt>http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt>