Re: media mix and universal connectedness

Thank you, Charles, you are right!

         I am not a person who can interpret music to the same words as
most ... I need to know the title of the piece, or the words if a song ....
but I am not everyone by any means ....

         Do agree that sound is often most useful as background, a third
dimension to meaning .... I've tentatively added a background music to our
personal homepage, http://www.erols.com/stevepem, a patriotic tune
appropriate for my mood and the mood of the country .... but other than
that, I only use background music if it has meaning to the content of a
page ..... someday I'll get one of those controls to turn it off and on,
but til then I'm concentrating on when to use it ....

                                                 Anne

At 08:02 AM 9/17/01 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Well, like images, sometimes sound is not as helpful, but sometimes it is
>much more helpful. And it is one of the media commonly used to convey things
>that are difficult to express in words or pictures - that's why it is so
>common in movies to have additional sound tracks.
>
>I am strongly in favour of including it, despite the fact that at the moment
>it is the highest-bandwidth component of much multimedia and is not easily
>repurposed.
>
>Let's start without the assumption that what we do every day is accessible -
>it may or may not be best practise.
>
>Chaals
>
>On Sun, 16 Sep 2001, Anne Pemberton wrote:
>
>            I did not include sound files as an equivalent for text, although
>   they can function that way, I don't think sound meets needs as well as
>   images .... (I am not referring to sound from speech readers, but sound
>   files on documents).

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem