Re: Cognition Simulation

I understand where you are trying to get to, but this also gives an example
of how important text is.

If I wouldn't know the WCAG background and the possible interpretations
given to me in the list following the image, the image could mean several
things to me. For instance, it could be: use international symbols for
bathrooms to not confuse tourists. Or remember to keep women and men
separate.  Or the guy things: "Which way should I go?" and then finds the
answer: "Bodybuilders go to the left". And what if I come from culture that
writes from right to left. Am I going to read the image that way too. So
there are plenty of interpretations, and without the text or background
knowledge it is quite impossible to know which ones to select.

Even if we take a cartoon, which is extreme as it has quite a lot of
images, but it also text bubbles. If the text is written in a language that
I don't know at all I can usually guess something based on the images, but
cannot be exactly sure of what is happening. If I know the language a
little, I can guess better. But the images alone seldom give me the whole
understanding, unless they are standardized and I have learned the meaning.

Although I don't agree on your test setting I still think that images are
important, for instance, in supporting the understanding of a text,
motivating e.g. getting readers interested, and highlighting the most
important things in the text.

Marja