From: w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-gl-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Anne Pemberton
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 6:19 AM
To: gregory j. rosmaita; w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Subject: Re: slideshow sites/interfaces [was RE: guideline 7.1 about
screen flickering (fwd)]

Greg and Steven,

        I followed your links, and thank you both. Since I am so visual,
Greg's experience with the hotel site helped me understand what was
happening.

a real-life example of the type of site he described -- when i tried to
get

the phone number of the hotel from the hotel's web site in advance of
attending the june face2face meetings in amsterdam, i couldn't get past
the
first page:
<http://www.hotel-prinshendrik.nl/>

The source code for the site is:

<head>
<title>Website of Hotel Prins Hendrik - Amsterdam</title>
located in the centre of Amsterdam.">
prins hendrik, prins hendrik hotel, amsterdam, amsterdam-centre, centre
of amsterdam, rooms, accomodation, accomodations, accommodation,
acomodation, three stars, three, stars, canal, canals, gay-friendly,
redlight district, red-light district, travel, holland, netherland, the
netherlands, netherlands, tourism">
</head>
<BODY bgcolor="#FFF7D6">
<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"

codebase="http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=4
,0,0,0"
 ID=index WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=100%>
 <PARAM NAME=movie VALUE="index.swf"> <PARAM NAME=quality VALUE=high>
<PARAM NAME=wmode VALUE=transparent> <PARAM NAME=bgcolor VALUE=#FFF7D6>
<EMBED src="index.swf" quality=high wmode=transparent bgcolor=#FFF7D6
WIDTH=100% HEIGHT=100% TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_P
rod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></EMBED>
</OBJECT>
<BR>

The pages for the site seem to all be locked into the flash. Perhaps
they stand alone somewhere on the site, behind a quixotic subdirectory
for example. I wonder if a line could be inserted between the Body
background color and the beginning of the Object, to provide a link to
an alternate version of the pages. Dunno if it will show on the screen
while the movie is loading or not. You have the problem of updating two
versions, but I suspect that the individual pages could be updated then
reinserted in the movie script. Is this too obviously easy a solution?

Stephen suggested the following site as an example.
http://www.maxnet.co.nz/   As horizontal stripes are quite popular it
shouldn't be hard to find more.

The problem with this site seems to be the frames. The pages are
distinct on the site unlike the hotel example. But they all display in a
somewhat complex system of frames. And there is no option to avoid the
frames. I think most frames problems are solvable now, but this site
didn't get the message.

It's really a great site! Love the various illustrations ... checked out
the "Pig Sty", a site for kids to learn more about pigs ... and, when I
clicked on Cuisine, came to a wonderful site for recipes with a New
Zealand flare. One link, to Yum Yum, identified with a classic Smiley
face licking his lips, led to what seems to be a semi-commercial
exchange of recipes. I clicked on Recipes, and came to an input page to
search their recipe database. Next to the standard-looking input boxes
is an illustration that does not fit the "rules" I was working on
yesterday .... but is absolutely delightful. It in a black and white
photo of a small girl who has made a jolly mess of herself with a
birthday cake. Brought back fun memories of growing up the oldest of a
large family, and as each sister reached her first birthday, she was
presented with her birthday cake and let go to do what she would. All
six adventures were recorded in black and white photos, and as we all
had kids and went thru the same first birthday celebration the photos
for the grandchildren, and those for the first few of the great-grands
are in color. Neat to see our family tradition going on so far away!
Tho, the girl in the picture may be older than a year.

So, thanks ever so much for the illustration of what you experienced. I
can see the problems, but they seem solvable with an application of
information to the folks who create the site. I may revisit that NZ site
more today as I study on what else to say for the sufficiency criteria
instead of a list of things to do.

                                                Anne

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com