examples of a variety of sites that include illustrations of concepts (i.e., examples of 3.4)

From: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2001 10:21:03 -0400
To: w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
Joel and others are concerned about burdening authors if we ask them to
illustrate concepts.  So, I decided to take a look at a variety of sites,
particularly science research sites such as physics, to see what I could
find.  In about 1/2 an hour, I found the following 12 pages.  Note that
they all contain some sort of non-text content.  Particularly, the physics
technical papers - which at least contain graphs and tables of data.

I am not saying these examples are perfect, I am trying to show that
illustrations and use of multimedia is more widespread than some people
have been suggesting.  Also, that it is probably less of an "undue burden"
than some have hypothesized.

Now, I plan to hide for a while to work on some illustrations for WCAG 2.0
- most of which I think we can link to examples of sites that implement the
various checkpoints and point out what it is they are doing and how.

Gregory and Jason - several of these are PDF files and several others do
not contain text equivalents of images...I have tried to annotate these to
highlight the type of media they are using and the subject of the page.

The first page I want to highlight, is a W3C page, W3C in 7 points:

cnn web page always includes an image for the headline story.  also has
lots of audio, video, and other illustrations: http://www.cnn.com/

NASA's mars odyssey site: http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/odyssey/
particularly the goals of the mission:

PEG Research (protein engineering group)

BioChip Technology.  Not too many images, but a link to a quicktime video
at the bottom of the page.

Research on batteries - fuel test facility.  Includes link to PDF brochure
that is well illustrated.

Separation of Ultrafine Particles from Waste

Experimental Demonstration of Dielectric Structure Based Two Beam
Acceleration.  A very scientific paper, it includes graphs of data, a
"Schematic Diagram of the Step-up Transformer experiment", etc.

THE ARGONNE WAKEFIELD ACCELERATOR includes a photo of the device, several
charts/graphs of data.

Argonne Wakefield Accelerator, High Energy Physics home page
wendy a chisholm
world wide web consortium
web accessibility initiative
seattle, wa usa