definition Re: RE Checkpoint 3.4 again

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 20:11:06 -0400 (EDT)
To: Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo <emmanuelle@teleline.es>
cc: WAI WCAG Group <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, WAI Cross-group list <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Cross-posted to xtech - please do not follow this up on wcag list, and remove
it from the cc list. xtech is publicly archived at
http://www.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech

Yep.

So here is an attempt:

non-text (an adjective, as in "non-text element")

Something that doesn't rely on writing to communicate its content.
Normally, a picture, some sound, a movie, and so on. Note that this usualyl
referes to writing as characters output by the computer.

A picture of some writing, that is intended to be read, is both a non-text
element (in that it does not produce letters or words that the computer
renders) so it needs a text equivalent for many users, and a text element in
that it relies on written words rather than communicating graphically.

(in other words it is the worst of all solutions, but I don't think that
goes in a definition)

cheers

Charles