Re: RE Checkpoint 3.4 again

Hi all,

I believe that the polarization in the discussion on the point 3.4 is due to
that not all understand the implied concepts in the same way.

For example, I have visited the page of Joel (www.eCollege.com) and I have
found that in it they are used the graphics profusely, to facilitate the
understanding of the textual content. It is possible that he is not aware of
it. A line is a graph, and in its pages these graphic elements are used to
guide and to help the user. There is not more than to see the menu of their
main page.

Therefore, it is possible that when one speaks of non-text content and they
put on as examples, images, sounds, video, etc. some understand that it is
demanding to use complex drawings or pictograms, that which is not
necessarily this way. The rhetorical complexity will depend on the necessity
of its use and, sometimes, the simplest element gets the objective better
that one complex.

The drawing that has made Charles to illustrate the point it is magnificent,
especially because it has been able to express, graphically, the case more
difficult of application of this rule. But to apply this rule won't
necessarily demand that each paragraph or each concept is expressed
graphically. What demands the rule is that the capacity multimedia of the
Web is used to facilitate the use and understanding from the contents to all
the possible visitors.

The multimedia elements (text, graphics, charts, sound, animation,
videotape, table, etc.) they are, each one of them, more or less appropriate
to express certain contents. For example, to express and to give to
understand data, the ideal thing is to use tables and better if they go
accompanied by charts. Evidently, the sound is the less appropriate element
to express great quantity of data. Rules exist on the use of the elements of
an application multimedia that, at least in Spain, they are studied in the
career of Communication.

Therefore, in my humble opinion, what we try to say with this rule is: use,
jointly, all the "media" that they are appropriate to express and to
facilitate the understanding of the content.

As for the " non-text " definition, I believe that it deserves to be edited
again because, at least in Spanish, a definition should not contain the
defined term.

Kind regards,
Emmanuelle