Re: Proposal: checkpoint 3.4

         Another chatty note .....

Wendy and Kynn,

         Should either of you feel so inclined, if you make a sound file of
yourself singing these songs (with or without background music), I'll put
'em on my sites, and school kids will enjoy you forever (or til the end of
bytes) .... When I taught high schoolers English for those with
disabilities too severe for them to take English with a regular teachers,
it seemed whenever I mentioned the word "conjunction" someone would burst
out with the first line of the song .... "Conjunction junction what's your
function" ... sadly, they knew the song better than the concept it was
designed to teach ....

         There are bits and pieces of School House Rock around the
Internet. Finding the lyrics isn't hard, but finding the sound files with
or without singing, is difficult. Apparently the stuff is still under heavy
copyright, and whoever owns it isn't giving it up for free ....

         Kynn, I've saved your words for Noun, for when I find the music.
Wendy, I'd love to have the words to Adjectives, since our second graders
are introduced to the parts of speech usually in the spring, and adjectives
are harder for them than nouns and verbs .... There's a cute website on or
our teachers found last year when she started teaching parts of speech.
It's at Wacky Web Tales on http://www.geocities.com/apembert45/Literature/
... The kids fill nouns and verbs, adjectives and adverbs, and the site
spits out a pre-created story in which the kids filled in words are
substituted for some of the original words. The kids really like that website!

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem
http://www.geocities.com/apembert45