Re: Proposal: checkpoint 3.4

From: Anne Pemberton <apembert@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 06:57:41 -0400
To: Wendy A Chisholm <wendy@w3.org>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 06:40 PM 7/30/01 -0400, Wendy A Chisholm wrote:

         If others are pleased with this version (I have read Joe's
criticisms), then lets go with what Wendy has written.

Charles has made a good start to the sufficiency criteria, and I will keep
my thoughts open to what can be added. I do appreciate the wonderful
efforts made by all in this group to first, understand, what I envisioned,
and then begin to make it happen. If hubby hadn't already left for work
when I read this, I would no doubt be adding his thank you.

>Here's my proposal. Note again, that I am trying to find something that
>Anne agrees with and then we can see where everyone else disagrees (but
>don't feel obliged to disagree, you are more than welcome to agree. <grin/>).
>Regardless, I am concerned that the success criteria does not contain an
>exhaustive list.  Can we create one?  Is it far off?
>3.4 Supplement text with non-text content.
>Non-text content is content that is not text, e.g. images, audio clips,
>videos, animations, etc.
>Sounds, graphics, videos and animations can help make concepts presented
>in a Web site easier to understand, especially for people with cognitive,
>reading, or learning disabilities or those who are unfamiliar with the
>language of the text of the site.
>Success criteria
>* For any description of a process or of relationships, provide a graphic
>* For any page which has a concrete concept as a primary topic, provide
>                a graphic illustration and/or
>                an audio clip and/or
>                a virtual simulation and/or
>                a video and/or
>                link to content that contains illustrations
>of the concrete concept. A concrete concept is a person, place or thing.
>For example, an animal, a plant, or a product. It can also stand for a
>class of nouns - cats, birds, computers, mountains, hotel rooms.
>* For a page that describes an organisation or concept for which there is
>a well known symbol or logo, include that symbol or logo in the content.
>* For data information, provide a graph, chart, or some other common
>visual representation of the data.
>* When referencing sounds, link to a clip of the sound.
>Thanks and Be well,
>wendy a chisholm
>world wide web consortium
>web accessibility initiative