RE: guideline 7.1 about screen flickering (fwd)

From: Alan J. Flavell <flavell@a5.ph.gla.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 12:08:16 +0100 (BST)
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
cc: "'WAI GL'" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> And given that this is a checkpoint "until user agents ..." my question about
> whether this can now be marked not applicable in al tests still stands.

It may be of interest that webwasher ( http://www.webwasher.de )
offers to filter animations so that they either display only the
first frame of the animation, or stop after a single iteration.

Webwasher is available for a range of OSes, and can be configured to
shield any browser which supports http proxying (which nowadays surely
means "any browser"): webwasher may run either on the same platform as
the browser, or as a service on some other platform.

So it seems to me that the problem is in-principle[1] solved,
irrespective of whether individual browsers are making explicit
provision for stopping animations.

disclaimer: speaking only as a reasonably satisfied user of the
free-for-personal-use version. I have no connection with the company.
There's an analogous product called "Junkbuster", but I'm less
familiar with that.

best regards

[1] Sure, it remains to be discussed whether the group accepts this as
an entirely practical solution for all affected users.