RE: Comments on SUFFICIENCY for tomorrows COnf Call

Greg, the earlier files you sent were in *.DAT format, and nothing I have
would let me see in them, except notepad, which was unusable. The last file
arrived as *.txt and was usable in Word.

Looks like you did a lot of work.

A few comments: First of all 1.1 is not sufficient because there is not
equivalent required for text content. For people who use text best, you
have covered all the bases here, but for people who use text inefficiently,
there is no requirement that text have an equivalent.

On one of the tough ones: Gregg summarized:

>Checkpoint 3.4:
>1. Illustrations must be designed to portray important concepts or
relationships employed in the content.   [SOUNDS LIKE ADVICE OR RULE RATHER
THAN SUFFICIENCY.]
>2. Where appropriate, illustrations should be referred to in the text
(e.g., in a caption or as part of the textual exposition), to provide the
reader with an appropriate context in which to interpret the illustration.
>[  I HAVE TROUBLE USING 'MUST' TERMINOLOGY FOR A PRIORITY 2 OR PRIORITY 3
LEVEL ITEM….
>[ AGAIN - IS THIS ALL I EVER NEED TO DO?]

Gregg, I have problems with the whole thing and would suggest it be totally
redone, starting with the purpose of the guideline, which is to
encourage/require that content include illustrations. Not all illustrations
must address only the important concepts and relationships, they can also
illustrate minor points and still aide in comprehension of the content. And
it really isn't necessary to mention the illustration in the text. Nice to
do, but certainly not anything close to a should or a must.

What is a must, is that text have a non-text equivalent. It it is not
clearly stated in Guideline 1, as it should, then if it must be buried in a
substep of Guideline 3, then 3.4 should be unequivocal about what is
important. Dabbling in design of illustration and captioning isn't making a
web page more accessible to a  "skip the text" user.

					Anne

At 12:41 AM 7/12/01 -0500, Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
>I sent it in DOC , HTML and RTF.
>
>It should not be in proprietary format.
>
>Here it is in text.
>

>-- ------------------------------