Re: Action Item: 2.1 Proposal (Navigation)

At 03:51 PM 3/12/2001 , Anne Pemberton wrote:
>At 03:47 PM 3/12/01 +0100, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
> >Action Item:  Rewrite 2.1, possibly splitting into two guidelines
> >2.1  Provide a variety of navigation mechanisms
> >      <glossary>Navigation mechanisms</glossary> help
> >      the user find information on your site.  Providing
> >      more than one navigation mechanism makes content
> >      easier to locate and use.
> >      ISSUE:  What does "a variety" mean?  By this guideline
> >      I mean "use a site map, use a search feature, use navigation
> >      bars" etc.
>It's important to consider the size of the site to be navigated. At what
>size does the author need to add a site map? a navigation bar? A search
>feature?

Another good issue.  Probably a "techniques" issue but I don't
mean with that suggestion that we put off the discussion of this!
Techniques or checkpoint/guideline, we definitely need to arrive
at a decision on this.

A good source of info on this is the O'Reilly book "Information
Architecture for the World Wide Web", which I've used in a textbook
in my online course on Web Management.

--K

Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
Technical Developer Liaison