Re: Action Item: 3.3 Proposal (Writing Style)

From: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:02:25 -0800
To: Kynn Bartlett <kynn-edapta@idyllmtn.com>, w3c-wai-gl@w3.org
At 03:51 PM 3/12/01 +0100, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>concentrate on suggesting that users _supplement_ their text when
>appropriate (and even _that_ is very hard to make checkable, isn't it?).

It's nice to find something on which to agree with Kynn!

Also this is in some sense "checkable". We can certainly check if there is
a "simplified reading level version" in a document and decide within an
authoring tool whether to prompt the author for such based on some of the
"fog index" sorts of tools. To put something as vague as "clear & simple"
in a checkpoint with no criteria for deciding when you've met it is beyond
silly.

We don't have a checkpoint advising spell/grammar/punctuation checking.
"Write well" is about as effective as "drive carefully". We intend to do
both but...

--
Love.
                 ACCESSIBILITY IS RIGHT - NOT PRIVILEGE