Re: Crawling ants?

At 8:41 PM +0200 3/6/01, Lisa Seeman wrote:
>I am confused.
>We could cut the guideline down to one sentence
>"Repeat after me: "device independence user-controllable"."
>That would be true for text alternatives, true for standardization, true for
>transform gracefully.

I would agree with that, except it would seem too much like an ad
for Edapta. :)

>We specify these things, and with good reason. Repeat after me:
>"user-controllable". is true but we need to specify what aspects of a page
>can cause problems and hence may need to be controlled.
>Animations are one of these.
>However with ADD (as I explained in my last email. They will find it hard to
>control once the distraction is in effect.

Agreed.  A question for you here is how I can handle this in an Edapta
framework.  It would be relatively simple to add the ability to ask
someone "would you prefer simple, non-distracting interface" and then
design such an interface for those users who select it.

The question is, would this be an acceptable solution?  Your profile
(on any given site) would store this information and would thus be
set only once -- assuming you knew how to find the place to update
your profile -- and would apply to the entire site.

>So maybe hear is the one place were "device independence and user control"
>does not cover all.
>Now if we could have a "distractibility " attribute added to all object and
>image tags - Feel free to ask PF.

Actually it should be relatively easy to identify, programmatically,
those components of the page which may cause distraction.  The only
issue is whether or not they cause _intentional_ distraction or
_incidental_.

--Kynn
--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>