transitional vs strict was RE: summary attribute required? history.

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:22:50 -0500 (EST)
To: Mike Paciello <paciello@ma.ultranet.com>
cc: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Mike Paciello wrote:
  This is also why I am trying to get a clear definition between the
  distinction of the HTML "transitional" and "strict" requirements. By strict,
  do we mean that all attributes are included, even if the attrbute is left

There are three flavours of HTML 4 - "strict", "transitional", and

Using the "strict" version, a number of presentational elements and
attributes that are valid in the other two versions are not valid. For
example, most elements which control font are not part of HTML 4 strict.

Charles McCN