transitional vs strict was RE: summary attribute required? history.

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:22:50 -0500 (EST)
To: Mike Paciello <paciello@ma.ultranet.com>
cc: WAI GL <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Mike Paciello wrote:
[snip]
  This is also why I am trying to get a clear definition between the
  distinction of the HTML "transitional" and "strict" requirements. By strict,
  do we mean that all attributes are included, even if the attrbute is left
  null?

  -Mike

There are three flavours of HTML 4 - "strict", "transitional", and
"frameset".

Using the "strict" version, a number of presentational elements and
attributes that are valid in the other two versions are not valid. For
example, most elements which control font are not part of HTML 4 strict.

regards

Charles McCN