Re: Technique Reducing The Need For In-Your-Face URLs

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 23:52:49 -0000
To: "Wendy A Chisholm" <wendy@w3.org>, "Anne Pemberton" <apembert@crosslink.net>, "Al Gilman" <asgilman@iamdigex.net>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>, <w3c-wai-au@w3.org>
> The visual interface would distinguish the central 'yolk' of the link
> as sensitive.  The screen reader would know to read out the
> "whole egg" when tabbing.

This is a very interesting point. Some links occur in contexts, whereby the
link text does not need to be long because it is described properly in the
context with which it appears. Example:-

   I prepared a _show_ for the kids in our local school the other day.

Now, the one word "show" doesn't have much to say, but you can assume from
the text that it points to a page about that show. But on the other hand,
if I'm extracting links out, I like to have something that makes sense on
it own... I suppose that for example in this case you could have:-

   I prepared _a show for the kids in our local school_ the other day.

I think it varies form case to case, but the general advise is try to make
anything contained in the link and the markup as expressive as it needs to
be to make sense.

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer