Re: Technique Reducing The Need For In-Your-Face URLs

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:47:23 -0000
To: "Wendy A Chisholm" <wendy@w3.org>
Cc: <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
> one of the recommendations that we think should be consistent is
> only using "in your face URLs" in cases as have been described in
> this thread - in footnotes when the page will be printed, when
> specifically identifying a web site for someone to read (again,
> usually for printing or presentation/discussion purposes), etc.

That seems to be acceptable. The guidelines *are* already there, but WCAG
2.0 has taken the movement towards tersification, so a great deal of the
interpretation will be done in the techniques documents... (I'm not sure if
that's a good or bad thing, but it seems to be generally agreed upon).
Basically, we are saying that for most media, in-your-face URLs present
accessibility problems, except when a page is a) presented on media that is
independant of the Web, or b) needs possible link context expansion (for
discussion puroses/in streaming media browsers).

> Therefore, for the time being I propose adding something to section 6.1

O.K. :-)

> This eventually should appear in the Core
> Techniques as it applies across languages

The core techniques for WCAG 2.0? Seems reasonable. I think this is fairly
HTML specific though: although XLink has xlink:title and so forth to deal
with (may need to issue something about accessibility of XLink).

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer